Wednesday, May 19, 2010

You never know, it could have been a mafia front

Disclaimer: I didn’t really have any encounter with the mafia) You know, this restaurant owner is probably really nice, and his restaurant probably is legit, but my experience at this place just felt…mafia-like. While I was eating these noodles and bread sticks (quite literally sticks),

all I could think to myself was, what if this was a front for a mob boss? I mean, really, this place just looks too… clean and… low-profile. Also, it is right next to the military school and I saw quite a few Gendarmes and officers in the two minutes it took to get from the metro station to this restaurant. Who would suspect a mafia cover right next to Invalides (the military museum)? Seriously. So then I took another look at the guy behind the counter. Was he the main boss? No—he was the front-man. The guy who decides who can come into the back and who doesn’t. While I was very sneakily taking pictures of my food (I don't know why it had to be done sneakily, but believe me, it did),

these two people came in and talked to the owner (or the front-man, either/or). I’m not sure who they were, but they looked like tourists and they spoke like Frenchmen (some kind of cover?). Then the front-man asked us if we wanted him to take our picture. An odd offer for two Americans in Paris. We said yes. As soon as he was done I checked my bag (which had been behind me), to make sure nothing had been stolen.

As we were leaving we saw him talking outside to a guy on a motorcycle. The guy was wearing all dark clothes and had on sunglasses. I’m sure they had nothing to do with the sun—I’m sure he was just trying to mask his identity.

As we walked away the front-man smiled and waved at us. Very suspicious.

P.S. What does this Chinese building think its doing in Paris? This is the only building I have seen that looks like this. Also very suspicious. If this is a front for the Chinese mafia, they need to tone it down a little bit, or they could be caught.

2 comments:

becca said...

You are making me paranoid! Ü

Summer Blackhurst said...

I'm glad you made it out of there alive. It sounds like it was pretty touch and go :)