Wednesday, May 5, 2010

I may have gone a little crazy

Today (Monday) was FRIGID, and since I did not think to bring my winter coat to France, I had to go out and buy one (especially because the jacket I brought is bright blue and stands out like sore thumb). Oh shoot. I had to go shopping. So, Sarah and I decided to kill two birds with one stone and do a walk and go shopping. Thankfully ( I mean, darn) one of the walks is to a big shopping complex (Le Grand Lafayette).
So we went there and according to the walk, there was a store that was pretty nice and not too expensive called C&A.

This is where I went a little crazy. I got a jacket (not warm enough for this weather but it does the job, plus, I don’t want to have to lug home a heavy coat), and since it was cold I thought it would be a good idea to look at the scarves… one thing led to another and I was trying on blouses. Well, I ended up buying the jacket, two scarves (which I shouldn’t have done, there is more variety at a better price at the flea market but I had forgotten about that in the midst of it being FRIGID), and two blouses. I’m sure you will see these in future pictures (in fact, you can see one of the blouses in the Chartres pictures (you may have already seen it in the post above), and the jacket and one of the scarves are pictured below. Yes. I did actually go into another store and change my clothes so I could wear what I bought. Don’t judge.

Anyway, after that I did the rest of the walk, getting lost after the Opéra…

…. and after a ½ hour detour got back on track at le Café de la Paix (I’ve heard its famous—maybe some of you know what it is)…

…ending up in Les Jardins Tuileries (Tuilerie Gardens—not sure if I spelled that right the English way). Honestly, I wasn’t sure what to expect at the Tulieries, so if you go, you can expect some statues. Some of them are pretty cool but I wasn’t too impressed. I mean, really, after you’ve been to the Louvre nothing else seems to compare, and yes, I said that in a snobbish voice. Because I can. ;)


P.S. What is it with the French and their square trees?

Also, some of the statues were really weird. Like this collection. It really looks like something Freddy Kreuger would do.



This was, however, the site of my first pain au chocolate encounter. Mmm-mmm! Num! (also, they have Paul’s patisseries everywhere in Paris. Actually, they have patisseries everywhere in France (at least one on every corner, there may also be one in between those two in case you can’t make it to the next corner without another baguette or something).


Also, the birds here are aggressive. You can’t scare them away and if they see you eating something they close in on you, looking at what you’re eating with, wild, greedy eyes. See?

We also had la soirée familiale with the Paris ward. One of the missionaries gave the lesson about trials (it was super good) and how they help us to grow. From the Provo crowd there was me, Sarah, the three guys and two other girls, but there were also four girls from BYU-Idaho who are on a month-long art tour all around Europe. There were five or six Frenchmen, eleven or twelve Americans, one Spaniard, two South Americans and two Iranians. The lesson was in English and the closing prayer was in French.

4 comments:

Jarom said...

Hey do you know anything about the Iranians? Odd I know but that is what caught my attention in that last paragraph. Keep up the blogging. I really like the pictures. More with you in them would be a great addition. It sounds and looks like you are having a blast.

becca said...

I agree with Jarom- more with you in them. You look adorable with you cute new clothes! I really do love the pictures and can feel your excitement through your posts- even when you're snobby! Ü Sacrament meeting sounded really neat and thanks for including all of those details.

Sarah said...

I know that the man was beat up by Achmedinejab's (sp?) men and that the woman is getting baptized this Saturday at 6pm. And that's pretty much all I know. Sorry its not more.

Sarah said...

I just found out some more today. Apparently after he got beat up, he was sent to the hospital, but even though he had broken bones he told the doctor that he had to leave or else the police would find him there. So although the doctor advised against it, they wheeled him out to his dad's friends place where he recovered. In the meantime, his dad talked to some of his contacts and got him declared a political refugee, which is why he's in France.

Also, apparently there have been 5-6 Iranian baptisms recently (in the last year or so), which is pretty cool.