Wednesday, May 5, 2010

A little bit of this and a little bit of that

If any of you were wondering how my speaking is coming, last night at dinner we were talking about Chartres when my host mom told me that I should watch more French films because it would improve my speaking. ;)

I wrote down somewhere that I liked the metro and the public transportation system in France because it was pretty straightforward. I spoke too soon. I had at that time only gotten lost once and gotten on the wrong train twice (both were easy fixes). The next day Sarah and I got on the wrong train going home, realized our mistake much later than we should have (I remember thinking, wow, there’s a cemetery on the way to the city? I don’t remember that. You’d think that would have been a red flag), then the train back to where we could get on the right one took forever to come, and then when we got on the right train it didn’t stop at our stop. So we had to go back again. The moral of the story is that we were late to dinner (about ten minutes), which is a BIG faux pas here. And it took two hours to get home.

One of the times we got on the wrong train we got off and smelled delicious aromas coming from a place called “Fun Pizza,” so we went and bought some. I got a calzone junior (for one person), and it lasted me three meals. I forgot to take a picture of it, but it was delicious. I might go back there just to get more.

I like not being completely used to the time here because at home I can’t take a nap unless its at least three hours long. Today I took about an hour long nap and felt like I had slept for three hours. It was great.

I don’t know if its my Blackhurst upbringing or what, but I have to keep reminding myself that its okay to eat out. Each time I think about going to a restaurant or getting a pastry somewhere I think, “but its such a waste of money when I could just make a sandwich at home.” I have to keep telling myself that I’m only in France for six weeks and that its okay to splurge a little here. I am glad, however, that it appears that thriftiness is a tough habit to break.

2 comments:

becca said...

So true. I've determined that it is your Blackhurst upbringing and I think it's a good thing. I definitely hesitate to eat out (not that we don't...), but keep reminding yourself you're in France and how far away home is and you should be fine. Ü By the way I don't know why it took me so long, but I finally realized what your smaller captioned title reads underneath le bonbon and I couldn't stop laughing!

Sarah said...

Hahaha! I'm glad that you got that! ;)