Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Hello. My name is Sarah, and I am obsessed with doors.

On Saturday we did two walks. The first one was to the largest flea market in the world, where they discourage picture-taking, so I don’t have any pictures of that, but hopefully I will bring back some merchandise from there. It is huge (the name of the walk is Saint Ouen’s Labyrinth: Navigating the World’s Largest Flea Market) and there are hawkers everywhere trying to get you to buy ripoff Louis Vuitton. The first one coming from the metro is a tourist trap (that’s the part I want to go back to, haha), and the ones after that sell everything and anything from broken violins to chandeliers to Chinese robes to couches, and everything in between. You could probably spend several days in there and not see everything.

The second walk was to le Palais Royal, la Bourse (the French stock exchange), and some covered shops. Le Palais Royal was a lot cooler than I was expecting because I didn’t expect it to have this cool garden.


Or these cool fountains and pillars.



We were supposed to go to Le Bibliothèque Nationale after the garden but it was closed, so we walked to la Bourse, but it was also closed. Maybe next time I won’t go on a national holiday (Fête du Travail). Or a Saturday. Or at night. Oh well, there’s always next time, right?



Also, I found out on this walk that I am obsessed with doors. Old ones. Brightly colored ones. Big ones. France has the coolest doors.



No comments: