Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Le Louvre

Sunday was spent at church (um, duh?) and at le Musée du Louvre (um, what?). Before you judge, all museums in France are free on the first Sunday of every month, so we, as poor college students, decided to take the opportunity to see one of the largest and most famous museums in the world. But first, at church there were at least 77 visitors, which took the bishopbric by surprise. There were the 27 of us and fifty BYU-I students who are doing a three-week arts tour in Europe. And for those of you who want to know (all one or two of you: mom, dad), I understood the gist of each lesson and testimony but definitely not everything, which was kind of frustrating, but it was more than I have been understanding all week, so that was nice.
Le Louvre was amazing, probably more so than it might have been on another day of the week because the whole time I kept thinking, “Wow, look at the talents that God has given to us. Look at the beauty He has allowed us to use to create” (yes, I was trying to tie it to in Sabbath-day observances, and so you might think me a nerd, but I had a positive experience). Honestly these pictures and the ones that follow do not do what I see justice. The colors, the lighting, the feeling, none can be fully conveyed through a camera lens, which is why you need to come to Paris to see for yourself!

Waiting in line....

These pictures don't show it, but this place is HUGE.


I liked this statue room, which is why these pictures are featured, but believe me, the rest of the Louvre does not look like this-each room is decorated differently to reflect the displayed art (i.e. the Egypt room has pictures of desert, the Napoleon room has deep red walls and looks very rich, etc. etc.)

Some of the people I went with

Ah, the classic self-portrait. You will see many more of these I'm sure.

Here are some things that you may have heard of, such as Hammurabi's Code...

...and the Mona Lisa (or La Jaconde). Yes, it really is that small and yes there really were that many crowded around it to take a picture.

No comments: