Thursday, July 1, 2010

Copycat

My sister is really cool. She has two beautiful boys, operates two blogs, runs about a million miles a week (only a slight exaggeration), and somehow finds time to cook awesome food. Really awesome food. So its no wonder that I want to be just like her. I have to tell myself that so I don't feel bad that I am so uncreative that I have to do exactly as she does.

Here's what I did: while I was in New York Lizzie made homemade granola. This might sound repetitive, but it was awesome. Naturally, as soon as I got home I wanted to get the ingredients to try making it myself.

(her pictures look better)

I did okay until it came time to put in the honey. A while ago my grandpa gave us a HUGE bottle of honey, and because I thought we still had a lot left, I didn't bother getting any at the store. Oops. I had to scrape out every single drop of honey we had in the apartment.

Poor little honey bear--being sacrificed for the sake of my tastebuds.

After that everything went well...


...until it was time to take it out. Apparently things don't need to cook as long in Utah as they do in New York. Or maybe my oven burns hotter than Lizzie's does. Regardless, the granola is still edible, but it's not awesome. And I'm not going to post a picture of it.

Sigh. Maybe I shouldn't be such a copycat.

1 comment:

lizzie said...

Hahaha. I love the honey bottles. I have found that getting it to roast just right is a tricky thing. When we did it at the RS activity, it did fine at 350 for 30 minutes, but I tried it at Mom H's and it ended up cooking really unevenly -- black bits next to barely browned bits. I'm sure it will be better next time. I have found that the real maple syrup really makes a difference and is worth the purchase price. :)