Sunday, June 6, 2010

How to get into the French heart

Its easy, just draw a moustache on yourself with eyeliner (see post below). Really—that’s all. After we made our movie I had more French people start up conversations within twenty minutes than I had during the entire month before, simply because I had a moustache on my face. Seriously. Everyone who talked to us mentioned it. I even got to experience the French sense of humor, which hadn’t happened yet. Here’s the story:
I had to go to the bathroom really bad and I asked this restaurant owner if I could use the bathroom if I bought something. He said no at first, and then asked if I wanted champagne or whiskey, after which he winked and left. So after a moment’s indecision I darted into the bathroom (it was touch-and-go for a moment), and when I came out I asked him how much fries would cost (I had to buy something because he had told me no earlier and I had used the bathroom). He asked me if I wanted a plate and while I fumbled for a response, he smiled and said: “I wuz keeding. You can go.” I am convinced it was because of the moustaches because some guys talked to us on the metro, one man (who I think was drunk) laughed and asked us if drawing moustaches was a normal thing to do in America, and a couple of people outside of a store called us the three moustaches (there were three of us at the time).
So, to break through that cold Parisian exterior, simply draw a moustache on yourself. C’est tout!

No comments: